Monday, August 1, 2011

Music Mondays brought to you by the 80's


I usually post songs that I run to on this blog.

But I live/listen to a lot of other music as well. No activity required.

Far from it.

In fact, music + running is a recent addition to my music story.

Truth be told, music came into my life long before running did. In fact, I probably developed an appreciation for music before I was born.

There are many moments I remember from my childhood. Most of them are not interesting to anyone but me, but even so,some are life changing, some are traumatizing, some are sweet, some are funny, some are cringe worthy and some are completely and utterly random.

But there is one memory that sticks out simply because of its ritualistic nature - I can even relive it on my visits home today as an adult.



AFTER DINNER MUSIC. It is never quiet in my family.

Every night, after dinner is finished, my father would walk into the living room, turn up the stereo, and blast (and I do mean blast very literally) songs while we cleaned up, did dishes, and digested.

I have youtube links to some of my songs but, folks, these are classics, so they are not the best quality and rightfully so. If something lasts a few decades, it's because it's that good.

Here's a very brief list of songs that remind me of those evening mini concerts.

Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2

Money for Nothing by Dire Straits

I'll Always Come Back by K.T. Oslin

Jack & Diane by John Mellencamp

Never Tear Us Apart by INXS

Love Hurts by Nazareth

Pink Houses by John Mellencamp

Where the Streets Have No Name by U2

Cherry Bomb by John Mellencamp

I'm on Fire by Bruce (Need I say his last name) Springsteen

There's lots more, but these names stick out to me.

Now today, I'm beginning a two week juice/raw detox. More to come on my detox, plus reasons for and against detoxing.

Happy Monday!








No comments:

Post a Comment