Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Weekend Run

My long run this weekend turned out to be only 14.89 miles due to a route miscalculation, but I'm not worried about it. I'll catch those 1.11 miles soon enough. But man, it's getting hard to plan routes on this teeny, tiny island. But for now, here's my long run route by New York City neighborhood.

Begin in Central Park, running across the park and over to the West Side Park Drive.

Next, around Columbus Circle and then through my old neighborhood, Hell's Kitchen. My favorite place to eat in Hell's Kitchen is the Peruvian empanada heaven called Empanada Mama's.

Then over to the West Side Highway, which takes me down by Chelsea Piers, the edges of the Meatpacking District and West Village and then into the Financial District.

Next, I cut across the island on Warren Street, which ends up taking me through the edges of Tribeca. Tribeca means TRIangle BElow CAnal Street and is home to lots of celebrities who live in the city, including some of my favorites like Kelly Ripa.

Finally, after about a 10 minute run I made it to the Brooklyn Bridge, which I ran over and then promptly turned around and ran right back into the city on the Manhattan Bridge.

The Manhattan Bridge lands smack in the middle of China Town - the real China Town where the tourists don't go.

My route ended on the Summer Streets, which took me through SoHo, Union Square, Murray Hill, Midtown and back to the Upper East Side. I love the part where I run around Grand Central.

And that concludes my Summer Streets running for the year. Now it's on to find trails and more Green Streets throughout the city. I might even (GASP!) have to head out to New Jersey one day. But let's not think about that just yet.

Photo Sources:
1. Chelsea Pier's Aerial view, Chelsea Pier's website, http://www.chelseapiers.com/about.htm
2. China Town, NYC.gov, http://www.nyc.gov/html/unccp/scp/html/gateways/nyc_gateway.shtml
3. Grand Central, my own photo

No comments:

Post a Comment